• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Sharing is knowledge

Share |

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Rarest of all places...

Posted by RITA MAJUMDAR (Rita Chowdhury) On 3:40 PM No comments


The world wide web is thriving with innumerable sites on travel, tourism, ‘must visit’ destination, honeymoon destination, family vacation spots among others. And it is certain, we are not bored of them and neither will we ever get bored of travel blogs or sites. It is a basic nature of every human being to keep exploring new places. Thus our fingers keeps clicking on the keyboard in quest to find a place that no one has ever heard of  or been to. Maybe the need to search and conquer new worlds has something to do with our ancestors from the prehistoric times who always moved on to fresher pastures to search for richer food sources. Though, I live in a time where every place on the face of this earth might have been discovered, every tiny curve measured, every mood of the sun captured and yet there is a tiny little hope that there is a place waiting to be discovered just by me.

Calcutta (as I have always known) is not a new place for me, it is my hometown. Friends, Coffee House, Nandan, Outram Ghat, Baul music, farmhouse picnics, endless adda (chats),cigarettes and tea in earthen pots are few of the adjectives that describes life as a single college student in Calcutta for me. A life free of all strings, completely vagabond*, rebellious, a wonderland, must have a political opinion, brash language were significant to my existence in Calcutta as a young twenty something. However, higher education pulled me out of my city of joy and for years I stayed away from her. And as I moved from city to city, I never really forgot her nor did I terribly miss her. Eventually, I returned as young engaged working woman but she looked different to me this time. The evenings looked dreamy, Flurys and Peter Cat flattered me, boat rides at the Outram Ghat spelt magic. There was definitely a spring in every step  and the sky was painted in a beautiful pink just like a marsh-mellow, in other words the rebellious nature of the city was replaced by romanticism. It felt like wine and I had no complains!

Interestingly, while it is true that we love traveling and that every individual yearns to travel around the globe, it is also a fact that more often than not we have been accompanied by someone or the other thus making the place of visit special. It is so intriguing to me that how a place can behave in a different mood each time we make a visit to that particular place. As if it was a woman sometime ago dressed in a gorgeous glittering gold dress blowing kisses in the air while on some other occasion  it was a man with rigid rules and regulations. Thus, the person accompanying becomes an important aspect while exploring new places or should I say that we will continue to discover the unknown in known as long as we have the people we love with us. Happy discovering :-)

Do share your experience about people and places with me.



0 comments:

Post a Comment